05 57 24 71 95
05 57 24 69 38
The green lung of the Jurisdiction
Presentation of the town
Saint-Laurent-des-Combes is a municipality of 262 inhabitants, being part of Saint Emilion Jurisdiction. It is located 3 km southeast of Saint-Emilion on high land of 300 m, its surface area is 386 hectares. Its inhabitants are called the Saint-Laurentais.
A little history...
The name 'Combes' commemorates the "Cumbis" forest (Greek root "Kumbe" meaning cavity) in which the monk Emilion would had set up his hermiatge at the time of the Saracens back in the 8th century.
Saint-Laurent-des-Combes took part in some great moments in the history of France. On May 15, 1814 took place a big party in honor of the return of King Louis XVIII and the presence of the Duke of Angoulême in the department, on this occasion: "The white flag is raised. A solemn Mass with the Te Deum is celebrated. A banquet unites the inhabitants. In the evening there were dances and the town is illuminated. "
Village life was located mainly around the village church, but during the second half of the 19th century, it moved to the foot of the hill with the arrival of the railway.
The town was marked by several famous people: Jean de Foix, brother of King Louis XII, with the Chateau Candale. Raymond Theodore Troplong, Senate President (1852-1869), and the Chateau Troplong Mondot. Professor Jean-Louis Faure, member of the Academy of Medicine, with the Chateau Bellefont-Blecier, bequeathed in 1918 to the municipality 18 hectares of forest in order to make it the "green lung" of the Jurisdiction. Or, the doctor-general René Labusquiere, grand-son of Jean-Louis Faure, a giant in tropical medicine.
A hilly natural heritage ...
Exceptional site formed by a succession of valleys, the town offers magnificent views from the edge of the limestone plateau where stands the Romanesque church. From its square, there is a good view across the Dordogne valley.
Saint-Laurent-des-Combes has some streams, the main one is the Beuran Creek located 19 meters above sea level.
The town has a relatively limited area of 38 hectares of wood. This area, particularly sensitive and showing a remarkable biological interest, has allowed in 1991 to include the municipality to the Inventory of Natural Areas of Ecological Interest, Fauna and Flora (ZNIEFF).
Saint-Laurent-des-Combes is part of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion, which was declared World Heritage by UNESCO as "cultural landscape". The landscapes of valleys and hills following one another, and its harmonious nesting, fully justifies this registration. Hiking trails allow to explore thelandscapes of vineyards, woods and rural heritage.
All over its territory, Saint-Laurent-des-Combes can produce wines of several appellations of Bordeaux, such as the Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur. But above all, the vineyard is in the territory of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion, under the appellations of AOC Saint-Emilion and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru; therefore they are the wine mainly produced there. Several of its vineyard properties are part of the circle of Grands Cru Classés and Premiers Grands Cru of Saint Emilion.
More informations about the vineyard of Saint-Emilion, here.
Points of interest:
The viewof the Dordogne Valley from the front of the Church.
Several bicycle and hiking routes have been realized by the Tourist Office of Greater Saint-Emilion Area passing through Saint-Laurent-des-Combes:
Rando - road terroirs
Velo- Dordogne Valley and its vineyards
Cycling - Road remarkable architectures
Cycling - Between vineyards and Dordogne
The routes can be downloaded here.