A village bordered by the Dordogne River...
Presentation of the municipality
Vignonet is a town situated on the edge of a loop of the Dordogne River, belonging to the Coteaux of Dordogne’s Canton and part of 8 towns of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion and site listed as world heritage by UNESCO. Its area is 415 hectares and its located 7 km from Saint-Emilion and 12 km from Libourne. The town now has 495 inhabitants, called Vinitais and Vinitaises.
A bit of history…
Vignonet has always had a predominant wine business and helps to establish the reputation of the renowned wine of Saint-Emilion.
A water-rich natural heritage
In the south, Vignonet is bordered by the Dordogne River and is crossed by about 2 km of the Langrane Creek.
Vignonet is a municipality producing wine of Saint-Emilion. A third of the vineyards of Saint-Emilion are located in the plain of the Dordogne.
More information on the vineyard of Saint-Emilion here.
Points of interest
Since the early 17th century, at least, the port of Vignonet at La Cale is situated on the outer side of the lower valley of the Dordogne. Among the goods loaded or unloaded there were blocks of limestone. A loading of stone from Saint-Émilion was attested in January of 1620 for the construction of the Hotel Pichon, in the Cours de l’Intendance in Bordeaux. In 1929, upgrading works to facilitate the unloading of goods on the pavement of La Cale were made at the port. The port of Vignonet becomes a place to discover the exceptional panoramic view of the semicircle outlined by river in this landscape.
Saint-Brice Church was built in the 12th century. It is a building with clean architecture. Its entrance is preceded by a porch, a so-called blanket "ballet" once common in southwestern churches in France. The facade is formed from a belfry wall. Nowadays, there are several elements of the Romanesque church: a portion of diamond point archivolt, three arched windows, pilasters and buttresses for an arched door with three arches hanging down on the piers. In 1854, the nave and sanctuary were vaulted with bricks and plaster. Like the nave of the church of Saint-Terre, the sanctuary and its vault are decorated with painted frescoes.. The church houses a 17th century altarpiece intended to glorify the Virgin Mary. From either side of the altar, rise four columns in imitation marble with volute capitals. It is also decorated with gold. At the center in its niche, stands the Virgin Mary.
The industrial distillery, launched in 1940 by a small-scale producer of liquor, M. Vidal. Grape marc and wine lees are treated there. This roadside distillery is characterized by its brick walls. On the side wall amounted stainless steel vats.