THE GREAT WALL STILL HOLDS TO THE VAGARIES OF HISTORY.
It is the modest remnant of a huge Dominican monastery of the 12th century. By tradition, the Dominicans are part of the family of mendicant monks alongside the Franciscans. Their rule is based on the notion of individual poverty. For the architecture of the monastery match this ideal, certain rules had to be applied. The monastery buildings and the church should not exceed a certain height. This section of wall suggests that Saint-Emilion mendicant monks should not be as poor as their order demanded.
Political and military issues overcame this religious monument. The Duchess Eleanor of Aquitaine, in the 12th century, taken for future second husband Henry Plantagenet King of England. It thus gave him the title of Duke of Aquitaine, but he had the attitude and authority of a King on the region. This was the beginning of three hundred years of tension between France and England. The last hundred years are known as the Hundred Years War (1337-1453).
At the beginning of the Hundred Years War, the French troops fighting to reassert the power of their king, took refuge in the monastery of the Dominicans. The building was situated not far from the walled enclosure. It became a refuge, an observation point and a good line edge position. The Dominicans who didn’t feel safer, left their large monastery and settled intramural. The monastery, meanwhile, was deliberately destroyed, leaving up this stylish piece of wall.
This majestic ruin is known as the "Great Wall" since the 19th century at least, and the vines in these feet are those of the Château "The Great Walls".