The Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion

9Results

  • Saint-Émilion

    Saint-Émilion

    To know more about
      Presentation of the municipality Saint-Emilion is a town belonging to the Canton of the Coteaux of Dordogne and part of 8 towns of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion. It also belongs to the community of villages of the Greater Saint-Emilion Area. Located 40 km north-east of Bordeaux and 8 km from Libourne, it stands on the hillside north of the Dordogne valley. The town now has 1,994 inhabitants, including 200 intramural, called Saint-Emilionnais and Saint-Émilionnaises. This is a historic village surrounded by vineyards, internationally renowned, visited by over a million tourists each year. It is part of the former Jurisdiction of Saint-Émilion, territory on the list of World Heritage Sites since 1999 for its cultural landscapes.   A bit of history… Origin of the name The name of the town of Saint-Emilion derives from that of the Breton hermit Émilion that settled himself on the site in the 8th century. The coat of arms shows the arms of the city. History In the 8th century, a Benedictin monk from Brittany named Aemilianus set up his hermitage in a cave in the Ascumbas forest. From the 9th to the 12th century, the catacombs and monolithic church were dug and a religious community settled under the rule of Saint-Benedict. In 1152 Aquitaine came under the English domination, favoring the growing of the vineyards and the trade of Claret wine. In 1199, the bourgeois sign a charter with John Lackland, King of England: the city gets from the king its autonomy under a dual administrative and civil guardianship: the Jurade. These new privileges were then confirmed in 1289 by Edward the 1st, King of England, which extended the powers of the Jurade to the neighboring parishes which then formed the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion. From the 13th to the 16th century, while the troubles begin announcing the Hundred Years War, the construction of the fortifications continued. In 1237, construction of the tower of the King, which would serve as the city hall for the Jurade, certified the Anglo-Norman style of the strong English influence in Guyenne. Later, two religious communities previously established outside the city walls, settled inside the village: the Franciscans or Cordeliers and the Dominicans or Jacobins. The city passed successively from the English to the French crown until the peace treaty was signed in 1453 after the Battle of Castillon. But peace would be short lived as the Religious Wars erupted from 1562 and these episodes had catastrophic consequences for the village and for its vineyards. the Protestants perpetrated two lootings in 1580 and in 1589 which resulted in the disappearance of the relics of Emilion. The French Revolution destroyed the religious life and depopulated the then city; degradation of monuments would worsen, and  in 1789 the Jurade was dissolved. In 1793, Elie Guadet, a "Girondins" deputy at the Convention, fled the Terror (La Terreur) and returned to his hometown seeking asylum for himself and six of his fellow outlaws. They remained nine months in hiding before being discovered and executed. The wine revolution began in the second half of the 18th century by owners of wineries open to new ideas and new techniques. In 1884, winegrowers of Saint-Emilion created the first Winegrowers Union of France becoming the principal engine of exceptional quality policy on the vineyard ever since. This would lead to the establishment of the Saint-Emilion controlled appellations production area in 1936, and the revival of the Jurade in 1948 as a brotherhood passionate about wine and whose role is to promote the wines of St. Emilion around the globe. The registration of the Saint Emilion Jurisdiction as a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1999 as a cultural landscape brought the 8 towns that composed it to sign in 2001 a heritage charter which aims to implement a management plan of this landscape.   Natural heritage (...) Saint-Émilion is crossed by several creeks : Taillas, Fongaband, Barbanne and the Dordogne river on about 11 kilometers.   Vineyards… The Saint-Emilion appellation represents 5,400 hectares of vineyards and is divided into two controlled appellations: Saint-Emilion AOC and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru. For more information on the vineyard of Saint-Emilion click here.   Points of interest: The bell tower of the monolithic church, the King’s keep or the Brunet gate will offer magnificent views of the medieval city and the vineyard! Several cycling and hiking routes, pass through Saint-Émilion and its surroundings and are offered free of charge by the Tourist Office. Find these routes here. The medieval village also offers 12 famous monuments to discover. Find them here. The village hosts many events, including: The Jurade, the Philosophia festival, the Jazz Festival, producers’ markets, Vino Voce festival, European Heritage Days, Art Crafts Fair, Market of taste, Montgolfiades ... Discover the complete diary of events here. The Tourist Office also offers a wide tourist offer: various tours of the city and vineyards, but also chateaux to discover and their wines to taste ... Discover the entire tourism offer at the Tourist Office right here.  
  • Saint-Laurent-des-Combes

    Saint-Laurent-des-Combes

    To know more about
      The green lung of the Jurisdiction   Presentation of the town Saint-Laurent-des-Combes is a municipality of 259 inhabitants, being part of Saint Emilion Jurisdiction. It is located 3 km southeast of Saint-Emilion on high land of 300 m, its surface area is 386 hectares. Its inhabitants are called the Saint-Laurentais.   A little history... The name 'Combes' commemorates the "Cumbis" forest (Greek root "Kumbe" meaning cavity) in which the monk Emilion would had set up his hermiatge at the time of the Saracens back in the 8th century. Saint-Laurent-des-Combes took part in some great moments in the history of France. On May 15, 1814 took place a big party in honor of the return of King Louis XVIII and the presence of the Duke of Angoulême in the department, on this occasion: "The white flag is raised. A solemn Mass with the Te Deum is celebrated. A banquet unites the inhabitants. In the evening there were dances and the town is illuminated. "   Village life was located mainly around the village church, but during the second half of the 19th century, it moved to the foot of the hill with the arrival of the railway.   The town was marked by several famous people: Jean de Foix, brother of King Louis XII, with the Chateau Candale. Raymond Theodore Troplong, Senate President (1852-1869), and the Chateau Troplong Mondot. Professor Jean-Louis Faure, member of the Academy of Medicine, with the Chateau Bellefont-Blecier, bequeathed in 1918 to the municipality 18 hectares of forest in order to make it the "green lung" of the Jurisdiction. Or, the doctor-general René Labusquiere, grand-son of Jean-Louis Faure, a giant in tropical medicine.   A hilly natural heritage ... Exceptional site formed by a succession of valleys, the town offers magnificent views from the edge of the limestone plateau where stands the Romanesque church. From its square, there is a good view across the Dordogne valley.   Saint-Laurent-des-Combes has some streams, the main one is the Beuran Creek located 19 meters above sea level. The town has a relatively limited area of ​​38 hectares of wood. This area, particularly sensitive and showing a remarkable biological interest, has allowed in 1991 to include the municipality to the  Inventory of Natural Areas of Ecological Interest, Fauna and Flora (ZNIEFF).   Saint-Laurent-des-Combes is part of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion, which was declared World Heritage by UNESCO as "cultural landscape". The landscapes of valleys and hills following one another, and its harmonious nesting, fully justifies this registration. Hiking trails allow to explore thelandscapes of vineyards, woods and rural heritage.   Vineyards… All over its territory, Saint-Laurent-des-Combes can produce wines of several appellations of Bordeaux, such as the Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur. But above all, the vineyard is in the territory of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion, under the appellations of AOC Saint-Emilion and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru; therefore they are the wine mainly produced there. Several of its vineyard properties are part of the circle of Grands Cru Classés and Premiers Grands Cru of Saint Emilion. More informations about the vineyard of Saint-Emilion, here.   Points of interest: The viewof the Dordogne Valley from the front of the Church. Several bicycle and hiking routes have been realized by the Tourist Office of Greater Saint-Emilion Area passing through Saint-Laurent-des-Combes: Rando - road terroirsVelo- Dordogne Valley and its vineyardsCycling - Road remarkable architecturesCycling - Between vineyards and DordogneThe routes can be downloaded here.  
  • Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes

    Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes

    To know more about
      Village of beautiful houses…   Presentation of the municipality Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes is a town in the Canton of North Libourne and part of 8 towns of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion. It also belongs to the Community of the municipalities of the Greater Saint-Emilion Area. Its area is 780 ha and is located near Saint-Emilion (2 km). The town now has 450 inhabitants, called the Saint-Christophais.   A bit of history… Origin of the name The name "Bard" dates back to a distant time. These are religious Christians, formerly called "Druids" who had settled in the land where they organized and animated social life. History The origin of Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes is originally from the establishment of the Celts and therefore is very old. In the Middle Ages, a castle was built in the town, Château Laroque. Its lords settled in this territory for a long time. The history of the town, is also marked by the extraction of the stone. Just like in Saint-Emilion, its underground is dotted with limestone quarries where were extracted blocks of stone used to build houses and castles. Saint Christophe des Bardes consists mainly of scattered hamlets and old houses which are highlighting its sublime vineyard. The village is twinned since 1996 with the village of Hermance in Switzerland lying at the edge of Lake Geneva near Geneva.   Natural heritage (...) The town is crossed by the Barbanne over a length of 2.3 km.   Vineyards… Nowaday, the main activity of the town is wine exploitation: 70 wine estates share the 547 hectares of vineyards, producing wines that are exclusively within the controlled appellation of Saint-Emilion wines.   Points of interest: The Tourist Office offers various hiking through the town of Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes. A hike “Terroirs" for a 3-hour-walk approximately and two bikes hikes "Route of the remarkable architectures" of 19 kilometers and  "Family Properties" of 11,5 km. You can download the maps here.   Every year during the last weekend of July, the village fair is organized. Young and old gather around a convivial meal followed by various outdoor games, the presence of bandas, bull de fuego and joyful a disco dance.   The château Cantin is an old noble house named after the stream, the Cantin, which originates at the bottom of the hill. It was founded in the Middle Ages but the well in the heart of the vineyard, is the only remain of the Middle Ages. Most buildings in the courtyard date from the 17th century. They were built by Benedictine monks and had a function of farm and monastery. The main body of the castle was the summer residence of the canons of Saint-Emilion. The monks remained in Cantin until the French Revolution and the estate was sold as national property to the Baron of Mauvezin, it was kept in the family for 100 years. Alphonse Bisch, a wine merchant, remodeled the castle in the 19th century: since, it has beautiful buildings on two levels including a square tower. The building is complemented with a large courtyard.   The château Fombrauge is a beautiful aristocratic mansion built on a vast vineyard. It consists of a main building in one level and two perpendicular wings. The facade overlooks a courtyard framed by remarkable buildings. The north side has a carved stone terrace overlooking the park.   The château Haut-Sarpe is at the limit of the town of Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes and Saint-Emilion. Located at the top of a hillock overlooking the vineyard, it has a beautiful view of the Barbanne valley, steeples of  Montagne, St. George, Parsac and also Lussac. The castle was built by the famous Leo Drouyn in the 19th century. He was the official drawftsman of the Committee on Historical Monuments of the Gironde, he was the first to highlight the rich romanesque heritage of Gironde and became one of the leading specialists of medieval architecture. Leo Drouyn was inspired by the Petit and Grand Trianon at Versailles with a French classic aesthetic mixed with Italian influence.   The Chateau Laroque is a former feudal dwelling, rebuilt under Louis XIV. Its location allows it to dominate the Dordogne valley. Surrounded by walls, the castle was plundered during the 17th century by the troops of the Duke of Epernon. It remains an important round tower with a stone dome. The main building, dating from the late 17th century, seems to have been redesign subsequently. It has a large rectangular main building on two levels topped by a balustrade hiding the roof. The main facade, very simple, has a central front building with three bays and crowned with a triangular pediment.   The windmill of Château Haut-Sarpe, is part of a true small hamlet and has a beautiful round tower in stone topped with a conical slate roof. It is now, after restoration, in very good condition. The small heritage of the town is to visit: the wash house, the grindstone, the bread oven, the memorial and the sundial.
  • Saint-Pey d'Armens

    Saint-Pey d'Armens

    To know more about
      A commune on the former royal road…   Presentation of the municipality Saint-Pey-d'Armens is a village in the Canton Coteaux de Dordogne and part of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion that is listed as world heritage landscape by UNESCO. The municipality covers 420 hectares, and more than three quarters of this area - extending on both sides of the RD936 - is occupied by extensive vineyards. It is located 7.5 km from Saint-Emilion and 12 km from Libourne. The town has 231 inhabitants, called Peyrelais and Peyrelaises.   A bit of history… Origin of the name In 1793 the name of the town was Saint Pey Darmens. Then in 1801 it became Darmens-Saint-Paix and finally its current name, Saint-Pey-d'Armens.   History The village is crossed by an ancient royal road linking Bordeaux and Bergerac. It is one of 11 parishes forming the old Viscount de Castillon and one of the 8 parishes making up the Jurisdiction of Saint-Émilion, which contributed to the fame of the wine from the latter. More information on the Jurisdiction here.   Natural heritage The town contains about 1.9 km of rivers called the Langrane Creek. The landscape of Saint-Pey-d'Armens was listed as World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1999 as Cultural Landscape, along with all the villages of the Saint-Emilion Jurisdiction.   Vineyards… The wine estates in the municipality of Saint-Pey-d'Armens evolve in the AOC Saint-Emilion and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru. More information on the vineyard of Saint-Emilion here.   Points of interest: The Tourist Office of the Greater Saint-Emilion Area offers a cycling route starting from Saint-Émilion of about 46 km; it passes through the municipality of Saint-Pey-D’Armens : "Tour of the Greater Saint Emilion” downloadable here.   The Saint Pierre Church is a small Romanesque church that has been restructured several times. Dating from the 13th century, it houses a triumphal arch and capitals adorning the columns of the choir that are finely crafted. In the 16th century the cemetery Cross (a Hosannaire Cross) was listed as historical monument. It stands on a base, with four small columns that stand on its four corners. Three sculptures were created on each side of the cross. In the cemetery of Saint-Pey-d'Armens, there is a sarcophagus dating from the 12th century.   Beautiful mansions stand in the landscape of Saint-Pey-d’Armens, such as Chateau Saint-Pey and Chateau Fourney which were designed by architect Victor Louis in the 18th century. The Chateau Fourney built in the 18th century according to the plans of architect Victor Louis, the architect behind the the Grand Théâtre de Bordeaux and beautiful mansions in Bordeaux designed most of his builds in the style of Louis XVI. The central part of this building was completed in 1789, but work was interrupted during the Revolution. The park and the building was completed in 1805. The Chateau of Saint-Pey extends over 20 hectares. It opens onto a large park of 2 hectares where you can glimpse the first parcels of vines. Part of the castle dates from the 16th century and served as dwelling house. The other building is reserved for the winery.  
  • Saint-Etienne-de-Lisse

    Saint-Etienne-de-Lisse

    To know more about
      A rendez-vous with History… Presentation of the municipality Saint-Étienne-de-Lisse is a municipality in the Coteaux de Dordogne Canton and part of 8 towns of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion. Its area is 710 ha, and is located at 5 km from Saint-Émilion. The town now has 273 inhabitants, called Stéphanois. Saint-Étienne-de-Lisse is twinned with the city of Framsden in UK.   A bit of history… Origin of the name : The municipality Saint-Étienne-de-Lisse is named after the eponymous saint. History: Traces of a fortified settlement dating from the early history (circa 700 to 600 BC), the first Iron Age, were found on the Niord plateau, it is the site of the present Chateau Fombrauge.   The town of Saint-Étienne-de-Lisse is anchored in history, especially with the Chateau de Pressac, where the treaty of the end of the Hundred Years War was signed at the end of the Battle of Castillon in 1453. This thus marked the end of 300 years of British presence in Aquitaine. This small village has a rich heritage with a 12th century church. Above the village, located on the hillside, stands the Chateau de Pressac which dates back to the 14th century.   Natural heritage The town contains about 1.9 km of rivers, mainly including the Langrane Creek and the Barbanne Creek.   Vineyards… The winegrowers of the town produce wines of the controlled appellation AOC Saint-Emilion and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru. More information about the wines of Saint-Emilion here.   Points of interest: The municipality has probably the most secretive point of view over the Jurisdiction: the location is called Tourans Cross, located in a small wood is accessible only on foot and you can admire the entire vineyard landscape. Thus there is a magnificent view across the valley of the Dordogne. Several hiking trails pass through Saint-Étienne-de-Lisse, the Tourist Office of the Greater Saint-Emilion Area offers "Crossroads of the appellation" for a 2h30 hiking and a cycling tour "Route of the  remarkable Architectures " for 19 km. Downloadable here. The Saint-Etienne's Church was partily built on Gallo-Roman foundations in a shape of a Latin cross. During the 19th century it has undergone transformations. Before 1840, the church had a bell tower which stood on the crossroads of its transepts, but it was razed due to subsidence. In 1845, the bell is consolidated and put in the elevated stairwell. In this church we can find six stalls senior clerics of the Jurisdiction, arranged in the choir, and from the Collegiate Church of Saint-Emilion.   The Chateau de Pressac stands above the town and the church and dominates the Dordogne valley. After the battle of Castillon, sealing the end of the Hundred Years War (1453), the surrender of England may have taken place at Chateau Pressac. The main building dates from the 17th century, but was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style in the 19th century. According to local traditions, the castle would have had the distinction of having 27 towers; ruins of many of them still can be seen. This castle with its fortified architecture, has been amended several times: the front door - the oldest part, opens on a wall with two towers and is topped with battlements before which were formerly dug moats. The current owners have now permit the restoration of the cellar.  
  • Saint-Sulpice de Faleyrens

    Saint-Sulpice de Faleyrens

    To know more about
      Between a standing stone and the Dordogne… Presentation of the municipality Saint-Sulpice-de-Faleyrens is a town situated along the Dordogne for about 10 kilometers, and belonging to the Canton Coteaux de Dordogne. One of eight town forming part of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion, listed as a World Heritage Site by Unesco in 1999 for its historical vineyard landscape. Its area is 1,817 hectares and its located 5 kilometers from Saint-Emilion. The town now has 1,456 inhabitants, called the Saint-Sulpiciens.   A bit of history… Origin of the name Saint-Sulpice-de-Faleyrens is named after the eponymous saint and a tribute to a 7th century Bishop. It is also comming from  Faleiro, faleyre in Occitan, "fern". This reference to the fern is due to the towns once wild woodland  where the plant was found in abundance and the first drinking glasses were made using fern ashes.    History The presence of a menhir near the port of Pierrefitte attests to land occupation from the Neolithic time, around 4,000 years ago. The village's history is closely linked to that of Chateau Lescours’, where the French king, Henry of Navarre, took refuge in the 16th century. Legend has it that Louis XIV took refuge there too. Also, the dock of the village became the port of Saint-Emilion from where wine barrels were exported to Rome or London, via Bordeaux. The town hosts one of the oldest human testimonies of occupation of the Jurisdiction: the menhir of Peyrefitte (from about minus 4,000 years BC), which is the largest of Aquitaine,  and was listed as historical monument in 1889. For thousands of years, for the summer soltice, people gather and celebrate around the menhir; the tradition continues today and is very popular among locals.   A water-rich natural heritage Saint-Sulpice-de-Faleyrens is a town situated on the edge of the Dordogne (listed as World  Biosphere Reserve by UNESCO) for about 10 kilometers. The town is also crossed by about 600 meters of water courses, mainly consisting of the Langrane Creek.   Vineyards… The main activity of the town is related to viticulture. The northeast part of the town is occupied by vineyards producing wines from the appellation Saint-Émilion AOC and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru. One can also find vineyards producing Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur wines. More information on the vineyard of Saint-Emilion here.   Points of interest: The landscape and the land of the parish are favorable for the discovery of fauna and flora and make for the perfect location for cycle rides or walks.    By bike, Saint-Emilion Tourism has completed several routes through Saint-Sulpice-de-Faleyrens (available to download here (Between vine and Dordogne, Tour of the Great Saint-Emilion, the Dordogne Valley and its vineyards).   Outstanding sites: The Pierrefitte menhir, the famous megalith of Pierrefitte lies in the Dordogne Valley, along the road to Libourne from Saint-Sulpice-de-Faleyrens. Unlike other megaliths recorded in France it is carved. It is a monolithic block, which is the result of a huge collective work of Neolithic populations. The builders of this impressive rock probably took it to its current location from a limestone quarry. Its imposing size - 5.20 m height, 3 m maximum width, 1.50 m thick and has a weight of approximately 50 tonnes - make it the largest menhir of Gironde, but also of Southwest France. It represents a right hand with perfect proportions. The limestone is worn on the wrist because many pilgrims came to rub the stone for protection. It is difficult to date this megalith. But it can be estimated to date back from the late Neolithic times (2600-2300 BC).   The Romanesque church of Saint-Sulpice built between the 11th and 12th centuries, was built with stones and its apse was registered in 1925 as a listed historical monument.   The prestigious chateaux have their story linked to the history of the town: Chateau Lescours, Le Castellot or Monbousquet.   Saint-Martial fountain holds according to legend, a cure for ailments of eyes. It is fed by a spring of the same name. initially, it was set as a sanctuary for the pilgrims to the menhir of Pierrefite nearby, and they were able to take advantage of its benefits. The fountain is still preserved today.   Events: Inhabitants celebrate the Pierrefitte menhir every summer solstice. According to belief, the "standing stone" was erected to ensure happiness and prosperity. Thus, young people went there to bless their love. The community life of the town is quite dynamic and many events are organized every year.  
  • Saint-Hippolyte

    Saint-Hippolyte

    To know more about
      The mysteries of the Jurisdiction…   Presentation of the municipality Saint-Hippolyte is a small town located in the hills of the Greater Saint-Emilion Area, belonging to the Dordogne Coteaux Canton and part of the 8 towns of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion. Its area is 444 hectares and it is located 4.6 km from Saint-Emilion and 10 km from Libourne. The town now has 145 inhabitants, called Hippolytains. Saint-Hippolyte has remarkable architectural on the Ferrand plateau which is overlooking the Dordogne valley.   A bit of history… Saint-Hippolyte takes its name from the eponymous saint, Saint-Hippolyte who was a philosopher during the 3rd century and a brilliant theologian of the Romanesque church, after opposing Saint-Calixte I, he reconciled with the Church and returned to the Catholic faith.   A natural heritage ... The town is crossed by about 600 meters of water courses, mainly consisting of the Langrane Creek.   Vineyards… Its vineyard is included in the famous appellation of wines of Saint-Emilion and produces many wines in AOC Saint-Emilion and Saint-Emilion Grand Cru. More information on the vineyard of Saint-Emilion here.   Points of interest:The view from the Ferrand plateau, where the horizon extends over the Dordogne valley. Ferrand grottos date from around or well before the 17th century, and are located a few kilometers from the town. It was Elijah Bétoulaud, an unknown poet of the 17th century, that was the author to write about these grottos. There are 3 dug-out rooms : the love room, a cross-shaped room and a lyre-shaped room. There, next to them there is a maze consisting of two symmetrical parts, they were made in tribute to Ms. Scuderi and in honor of King Louis XIV. The church that was erected on the Ferrand plateau, was built in three stages. The choir dating from the 14th century is actually the old chapel of the castle Saint-Poly, the family home of the Bétouleau family. The nave, which has exposed beams, was added in the 16th century, and the square-shaped bell tower was built in 1783. In 1980 the church was restored. The Château de Ferrand, erected during the reign of Louis XIV and situated on a plateau of Saint-Hippolyte, is an elegant building dating from the 17th century. Bought in 1978 by the Baron Bich, the castle had major renovations made in respect of the architecture of the time. The castle is composed of two large square pavilions connected by a small main building in the background. Today is a winery that operates in the Saint-Emilion Grand Cru. Cycling and hiking routes made by the Tourist Office going through Saint-Hippolyte: "The terroirs road " for a 6 hour hike "The remarkable architectures" a cycling route of 19 km to discover the wine and architectural heritage of Saint-Emilion. All the routes are downloadable here.
  • Vignonet

    Vignonet

    To know more about
      A village bordered by the Dordogne River...   Presentation of the municipality Vignonet is a town situated on the edge of a loop of the Dordogne River, belonging to the Coteaux of Dordogne’s Canton and part of 8 towns of the Jurisdiction of Saint-Emilion and site listed as world heritage by UNESCO. Its area is 415 hectares and its located 7 km from Saint-Emilion and 12 km from Libourne. The town now has 576 inhabitants, called Vinitais and Vinitaises.   A bit of history… Vignonet has always had a predominant wine business and helps to establish the reputation of the renowned wine of Saint-Emilion.   A water-rich natural heritage In the south, Vignonet is bordered by the Dordogne River and is crossed by about 2 km of the Langrane Creek.   Vineyards… Vignonet is a municipality producing wine of Saint-Emilion. A third of the vineyards of Saint-Emilion are located in the plain of the Dordogne. More information on the vineyard of Saint-Emilion here.   Points of interest Since the early 17th century, at least, the port of Vignonet at La Cale is situated on the outer side of the lower valley of the Dordogne. Among the goods loaded or unloaded there were blocks of limestone. A loading of stone from Saint-Émilion was attested in January of 1620 for the construction of the Hotel Pichon, in the Cours de l’Intendance in Bordeaux. In 1929, upgrading works to facilitate the unloading of goods on the pavement of La Cale were made at the port. The port of Vignonet becomes a place to discover the exceptional panoramic view of the semicircle outlined by river in this landscape.   Saint-Brice Church was built in the 12th century. It is a building with clean architecture. Its entrance is preceded by a porch, a so-called blanket "ballet" once common in southwestern churches in France. The facade is formed from a belfry wall. Nowadays, there are several elements of the Romanesque church: a portion of diamond point archivolt, three arched windows, pilasters and buttresses for an arched door with three arches hanging down on the piers. In 1854, the nave and sanctuary were vaulted with bricks and plaster. Like the nave of the church of Saint-Terre, the sanctuary and its vault are decorated with painted frescoes.. The church houses a 17th century altarpiece intended to glorify the Virgin Mary. From either side of the altar, rise four columns in imitation marble with volute capitals. It is also decorated with gold. At the center in its niche, stands the Virgin Mary.   The industrial distillery, launched in 1940 by a small-scale producer of liquor, M. Vidal. Grape marc and wine lees are treated there. This roadside distillery is characterized by its brick walls. On the side wall amounted stainless steel vats.  
  • Saint-Emilion / GPS Audio Guide

    Saint-Emilion / GPS Audio Guide

    To know more about